Friday, January 22, 2021

The 10 Year Class Reunion




Preface- Don't worry- no names are listed.

 It is hard to believe, but I have been out of high school for over 30 years.  Our class was supposed to have our class reunion in October, but alas... Covid.  I have been a part of the reunion committee since our 20th reunion.  It is fun to be a part of the committee.  I think our committee works well together because we all weren't in the same "cliques" in high school so we have good "representation".  The committee is also headed by quite possibly the nicest person in our class.  She has a kind heart and is so good, but not so good that you feel like you can't have a good time around her if you know what I mean.  She has always made it a point to make sure we tried to get in touch with all of our classmates.  Not just the ones that we were friends with.  She was in charge of our first reunion - the infamous Class of 1990, Tennessee High School reunion.  That was the reunion that will be regarded as one of the best reunions of all times.  

Your ten year high school reunion is strange.  You are an adult, but you aren't refined yet.  Most people have started on their career paths, and they are excited about the future.  You still think you know everything and think old people don't know what they are talking about.  If you are married you are probably on your first marriage.  You might have some people that are divorced, but very few with second or third spouses.  If you have kids they aren't teenagers yet so you probably still think your kids are really cute and sweet.  I guess what I am saying is that you are not jaded yet. 

Our reunion was at the Bristol Country Club, which at that time was really one of the only places to have a big party.  The dress was cocktail so everyone was all dolled up in fancy dresses and suits.  We probably had about one third to half of our class show up so with spouses and guests we were probably about 150 people.  It was really fun to see everyone.  I still live in Bristol so I get to see more people, but most of my close friends from high school moved away.  I still see them when they come back to visit, but it was very rare for all of us to be together at an event.  

The other thing that is different about your ten year reunion is you can still party.  And party we did.  I can't remember if it was a cash bar or if we got drink tickets, but the cocktails were definitely flowing.  It was all very refined while we ate dinner and gave awards for the person who came from the farthest place, the person with the most kids, the highest degree, etc., but then the DJ started.  It didn't take long for the dance floor to be full with mostly women dancing to the songs from high school and college.  Then the word got out that one of our classmates had chosen an interesting profession.  The word was that somebody recognized him from her bachelorette party and had no idea that he had graduated with us. Yes, boys and girls, one of our classmates was a male stripper.  There were some yearbooks lying on a table and I suspect there are probably some fingerprints on the page where his picture was because everyone kept going out to see who it was.  Somebody took it as a personal challenge to see if we could get him to show us what he did for a living.  It is all a little fuzzy at this point (I don't think I need to explain why...vodka), but it worked.  He came out on to the dance floor and started slowly taking off his tie.  Then he started with the buttons on his shirt.  It was all fun and games and everyone was cheering him on and then came the button on the pants.  We were sure he would stop, but .... he didn't.  All the way to his banana hammock.  Yep. He did it.  I was told by a witness that a spouse of a classmate went up to to our stripper classmate and said " 'Ey you need to stop,  People's wives are here." He didn't stop so punches were thrown.  My husband grabbed me, said Party Over and we left. 

Our other reunions have been much less eventful and I would expect that if we reschedule the 30th we probably will all keep our clothes on.  At least I hope so. No offense to my classmates, but I really don't want to see any of you naked.   

2 comments:

  1. Two things: the fragility of the male egos threatened by a male stripper; and that's a mighty white reunion and I think we should acknowledge that. I'm eleven years your senior and mine (I one went to 10 and 20 before I figured out that I just don't care) were too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to keep our clothes on at our 30th?!?!?

    ReplyDelete